Re: [Gnash] Compiling gnash statically

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Compiling gnash statically
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:31:41 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 19:43 -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Miriam Ruiz wrote:
>
> > Of course, that makes sense, the plugin itself must be a shared library,
> > but I
> > mean a way of having all the rest of the libraries static, and linking the
> > plugin with them.
>
>   I was just thinking. When I found out I couldn't statically link the
> Gnash libraries into the plugin was when the plugin was still a
> multi-threaded OpenGL monster. These days the plugin just exec's the
> standalone player, so it should be possible to have a shared library for
> the plugin, but statically link the player executable. I don't believe
> configure would support this, I'd have to look into it.

The issue is with libtool. In the form in which it is generated by
configure, it doesn't support building static or dynamic as a command
line option. You're stuck with whatever choice you made at configure
time.

The solution is to add another configure as a subpackage just for the
plug-in and tell that one to generate dynamic libraries all the time:

        AC_DISABLE_STATIC
        AC_ENABLE_SHARED
        enable_shared=yes
        AC_PROG_LIBTOOL