Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!

From: Mike Chambers
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:39:18 -0800

Apollo is not a plugin, it is a desktop runtime.
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/ Apollo:developerfaq#What_is_Apollo.3F

Target size if 5-9 megs.
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/ Apollo:developerfaq#What_is_the_target_size_for_the_Apollo_runtime.3F

More info here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/apollo

mike chambers

address@hidden

On Nov 7, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Rob Savoye wrote:

Tomas Groth wrote:

> I'm not sure i agree on this, since i've heard rumors that the new VM is very > fast, and there is also the question of whether it will be possible/feasable to > support AS3 with gnash's current VM (which i know very little about). But since > "tamarin" probably wont be functional for a while, we'll have plenty of time to

Actually Gnash's VM is pretty decent, and I do think we can extend it for AS3, based on what little I know are the differences. Other reasons we'll want to keep our own VM is things like utilizing Gnash plugins for extra functionality. I also think that unlike Adobe, keeping Gnash lean
and mean for embedded targets is important.

  I just checked out the latest Mozilla code, and I'm building it now
with Tamarin included, so I can play with it. I think this code base
will be more useful to us as a guide, more than anything else.

> Testcases is always nice :) I assume they available as raw actionscript code?

  Yes, as .as files.

Somebody told me the "Apollo" plugin that uses the new Adobe engine is
over 56M. A fully statically linked Gnash is still under 3M...

        - rob -