Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Adobe and Mozilla Foundation to Open ActionScript!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:28:42 -0700

Tomas Groth wrote:

> I'm not sure i agree on this, since i've heard rumors that the new VM is very
> fast, and there is also the question of whether it will be possible/feasable
> support AS3 with gnash's current VM (which i know very little about). But
> since
> "tamarin" probably wont be functional for a while, we'll have plenty of time

  Actually Gnash's VM is pretty decent, and I do think we can extend it
for AS3, based on what little I know are the differences. Other reasons
we'll want to keep our own VM is things like utilizing Gnash plugins for
extra functionality. I also think that unlike Adobe, keeping Gnash lean
and mean for embedded targets is important.

  I just checked out the latest Mozilla code, and I'm building it now
with Tamarin included, so I can play with it. I think this code base
will be more useful to us as a guide, more than anything else.

> Testcases is always nice :) I assume they available as raw actionscript code?

  Yes, as .as files.

  Somebody told me the "Apollo" plugin that uses the new Adobe engine is
over 56M. A fully statically linked Gnash is still under 3M...

        - rob -