Re: [Gnash] Gnash's problems.

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash's problems.
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:23:09 +0200

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 04:12:32AM -0700, Carson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I met some problems when trying to use Gnash. It would be highly appreciated
> if someone can help answer or sort out any of the following problems.
>
> 1. Gnash 0.83 was installed on my system (Ubuntu). But I cannot open
> Youtube.com video files on Firefox. Is it possibly the problem of Youtube's
> new player (called watch.swf) which is SWF9? I cannot open any other video
> files from the video sharing websites whose player is SWF8 or SWF9. But I can
> open those from www.lulu.tv, whose player is SWF7, with Gnash plug-in. In
> addition, the Youtube.com video files can be opened through Gnash standalone
> application successfully.

I confirm watch.swf is SWF9 but gnash plays fine.
It's been reported to have problems when the 'startStopped' directive is set.
Also, gstreamer media handler might suffer from timing issues.

> 2. I am wondering if Gnash standalone application can open a flv file locally
> without swf player. (e.g. gnash ./some_video.flv). When I run it, it always
> fails with the reports:
> 10312:3063994976] 12:01:00 SECURITY: Checking security of URL
> 'file:///home/user1/prj/gnash
> /build/bin/get_video.flv'
> Would it be possible to find a way to play flv files locally without using
> swf player?

It would, if someone implements it. In trunk I added recognition of .flv files,
so you'd
get a different error message, more instructive about it.

> 3. The SWF files of SWF8 and/or SWF9 opened through Gnash 0.8.3 can always
> partially work, or even not  work at all. I am wondering to what extent Gnash
> 0.83 supports SWF8 and SWF9 now. It seems to me only a little(20%) portion
> SWF8 and SWF9 can work.

Biggest SWF9 support limit is ABC interpreter. We're planning support for it.
SWF8 support should be fairly advanced. Please file bugs as  you find problems.

--strk;