gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] OGL 2.0 shading

From: Gerard Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] OGL 2.0 shading
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:39:50 +0100

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 05:43 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 12:16  Uhr, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
Maybe the G3DCamera would be able to be present in a 3D scene, as a 3D node ? Maybe not a simple 3D note pointing to the camera will do the trick, but I like the idea of a camera being a graphic node ?

I don't like this concept too much, although I am aware that many scene graphs use it. Why do you think it should be done this way?

Because a lot of camera can be used in a scene with different role, and sometimes I want to see them and control them in the scene from the point of view of an other.

But the camera you see and control in the scene can be a kind of special 3D node that is a camera manipulator, not the camera itself...

And maybe the thing I am confused is the way the camera is designed is a mix of a 3D view plus the frustum camera, without being a view. Ok, I forgot that this way allow to connect the camera to an NSView or something else, hence doesn't depend on AppKit (it was the way I was trying to use gnistep+3DKit 2 years ago, when I was still in a graphics company :( ).

But it would be better to me to separate the view functionalities to the frustum ones.

Later

        Gerard