gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] OGL 2.0 shading

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] OGL 2.0 shading
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:45:23 +0100

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 09:59  Uhr, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
But it would be better to me to separate the view functionalities to the frustum ones.

What do you mean exactly here? Should we again provide a separate G3DFrustum object as in 0.3.x? I removed this separation because it did IMHO not add value to the design but cause communication overhead during rendering (when view-frustum culling).

The overhead is so critical, What I think about that, is the capability for the controller to change the viewing setting from a predefined set, and I don't see other things than an object or a C struct (if the overhead is critical)

The frustum itself will be a struct called G3DFrustum (see G3DTypes.h) which will be stored by the camera's context. It might then be possible to switch quickly between different camera contexts - if this is what you mean.

On an other subject, did you see that NVidia is porting Cg to MacOSX (I read a post on the mac-opengl maillist)

Yes, but while I agree that Cg is nice I don't like several aspects of it. Then I'd rather choose the OpenGL 2.0 shader language instead.

I have spent some time now diving into RenderMan Interface and I really think this is the way to go. The OpenGL renderer implementation can then still be based on Cg or whatever.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip