gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14315] Propagate all FITS header keywords into o

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14315] Propagate all FITS header keywords into output FITS files
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 18:14:44 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #5, task #14315 (project gnuastro):

Initially you mentioned that you "favour the latter option of the two". So I
tried to elaborate more on it. The latter option was to use the Header program
and not internally in each program.

I agree, existing software do this. But that doesn't mean this this the best
approach. Infact, as you can see in Gnuastro, we have tried to make everything
as maximally configurable as possible, this principle would thus also apply to
this task: the user should be able to choose if they want this extra
information or not.

Having the principal of maximal configurability in mind, in the previous post
I also suggested that this feature be implemented as a library function. So,
once implemented, applying it within all the programs will be really easy
(with one common option and one line in the code). Infact with version 0.3,
there will also be a `gnuastro.conf' configuration file for default values to
common options (see task #14300). So once its implemented, enabling this
feature in all Gnuastro programs will be as easy as changing a `0' to `1' in
the main `gnuastro.conf' (which will be installed).

Let's leave the discssion on if it should be `0' (off) or `1' (on) by default
for once it is implemented. I suggest that in order to encourage people to
produce more reproducible/scientific/efficient results (task #14319), by
default it can be off by default.

For the time being I am too busy with implementing task #14245 in all the
programs. Infact `gal_data_t' (from that task) has also significantly
simplified header keyword reading/writing. So applying this task shouldn't be
too hard. Most (if not all) of the necessary building blocks for this task are
in place. This is an important task, so if anyone is interested in
implementing this feature, please post a comment here and start, I would be
happy to help ;-)...

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14315>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/