Re: [gnugo-devel] How to use GnuGo non-locally?

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How to use GnuGo non-locally?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:29:29 -0800

Ralph Dratman wrote:

> I would like to set up GnuGo on a Linux or FreeBSD server so that I
> can then play against it from other computers running various
> operating systems (Win98, Win2000, Mac, Linux). Only one client
> machine at a time will be playing.

You haven't specified very clearly exactly what you are trying
to do. Will the two computers be together in the same room or
will this be over the internet? Will you be manually starting
each game or are you interested in collecting large numbers
of games?

If you can describe your intended experiment more accurately
we can probably give you better advice.

The simplest way of playing different computers together
is to connect them with a null modem cable and use the Go Modem
Protocol to communicate. This is the way computer tournaments
work. Most machines at a computer tournament run Windows, a
minority run Linux.

Another way requires a server such as NNGS. You can get the
server code and run it yourself or you can play the games
on an existing server.  GNU Go can communicate with the
server using (for example) CGoban or Gnugoclient, a heavy
duty client that has played thousands of games on NNGS.

You might do better with GNU Go 3.3.14 than with 3.2.
We believe it is a stone or two stronger.

Andrew Balsa wrote:

> I have made some attempts at setting up GnuGo 3.2 on an Apache Web server.
> There is a script that should allow you to do that; however it seems it has
> not been updated for some time and did not work for me.

Gunnar Farneback can comment on whether the posted
version of gnugoclient is the one that is currently
running on NNGS. It was updated in July, not too long ago.

Daniel Bump