Re: [gnugo-devel] Move valuation question

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Move valuation question
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:44:24 +0100

M?ns wrote:
> I looked at the to-do list and found that making gnugo resigning was a
> welcomed feature. I thought of implementing it as a starter to get back
> on track with the code. But I realized that there was no support for
> such a thing as resigning in GTP or GMP or in SGF. I am correct here?

No, that is only true for GMP.

>From the second draft of the GTP specification:

* genmove
arguments
  color - Color for which to generate a move.
effects
  A stone of the requested color is played where the engine chooses.
  The number of captured stones is updated if needed and the move is
  added to the move history.
output
  vertex - Vertex where the move was played or the string ``resign''.
fails
  never
comments
  Notice that ``pass'' is a valid vertex and should be returned if the
  engine wants to pass. Use ``resign'' if you want to give up the
  game. The controller is allowed to use this command for either
  color, regardless who played the last move.

>From the SGF documentation:

Property:       RE
Propvalue:      simpletext
Propertytype:   game-info
Function:       Provides the result of the game. It is MANDATORY to use the
                following format:
                "0" (zero) or "Draw" for a draw (jigo),
                "B+" ["score"] for a black win and
                "W+" ["score"] for a white win
                Score is optional (some games don't have a score e.g. chess).
                If the score is given it has to be given as a real value,
                e.g. "B+0.5", "W+64", "B+12.5"
                Use "B+R" or "B+Resign" and "W+R" or "W+Resign" for a win by
                resignation. Applications must not write "Black resigns".
                Use "B+T" or "B+Time" and "W+T" or "W+Time" for a win on time,
                "B+F" or "B+Forfeit" and "W+F" or "W+Forfeit" for a win by
                forfeit,
                "Void" for no result or suspended play and
                "?" for an unknown result.

/Gunnar