[gnugo-devel] Move valuation question

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Move valuation question
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:45:29 +0100

In estimate_strategical_value()

      case UNCERTAIN_OWL_DEFENSE:

[if I'm not mistaken, we are uncertain whether an attack against our
 friendly dragon would succeed or not, though we found a sure defense]

        /* If we are behind, we should skip this type of move reason.
         * If we are ahead, we should value it more.
         */
        if ((color == BLACK && score > 0.0)
            || (color == WHITE && score < 0.0))
          this_value = 0.0;
        else

Isn't this a bit exagerated ? I mean, let's imagine we're only 2.5 pts
behind and a group worth 40 pts is in danger. Don't you think GG would be
taking way too much risks in such case ?

I'm not sure what to do, but what about following ?

          this_value = 2*dragon[aa].effective_size - gg_abs(score);
          if (this_value < 0.0)
            this_value = 0.0;

/nando