Re: [gnugo-devel] level of play

From: david doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] level of play
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:46:43 -0800

On Saturday, January 10, 2004, at 12:15  AM, Evan Berggren Daniel wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, david doshay wrote:
> we win 4 out of 8 doing a 16 move lookahead against a 4 stone handicap.

Any chance we could see the game records?  Just the games themselves
would be interesting, though seeing what moves were looked at would too.

We save all game records and look-ahead branch points (but not the
lookahead paths) along with the evaluation of the board value at the end
of each lookahead. We will be happy to share all records and our code,
but would prefer to make a few more improvements first. If you really want to see it sooner we can do that too. We also will be gathering better statistics.

Do you know if these results generalize at all? ie, is your machine that much stronger when played against human or other computer opponents? My own metamachine experiments suggest that the effect is far more pronounced
against gnugo than against other opponents,

We have not run against any other program or human. We will run against
Many Faces of Go 11.0 in the near future.

Does anyone have statistics on how 3.4 has done against Many Faces?

For some reason I am presuming that the effect is more pronounced against itself than other programs. But it is worth mentioning that in earlier tests using this method in a machine learning context with professional games for input, we were able to correctly select more of the professional moves than normal 3.2 (what we were running at that time). We have since dropped the machine learning efforts because we did not see much in the way of convergence from
any automated methods we tried, but we did hand tune some parameters as
a result of what we observed.

Thanks,
David