Re: [gnugo-devel] level of play

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] level of play
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:13:48 +0100

David wrote:
> We save all game records and look-ahead branch points (but not the
> lookahead paths) along with the evaluation of the board value at the
> end of each lookahead. We will be happy to share all records and our
> code, but would prefer to make a few more improvements first. If you
> really want to see it sooner we can do that too. We also will be
> gathering better statistics.

Some game record would be a good teaser.

> We have not run against any other program or human. We will run
> against Many Faces of Go 11.0 in the near future.

How fast is it playing? If it's not too slow I would strongly
recommend playing with it on a server.

> Does anyone have statistics on how 3.4 has done against Many Faces?

I haven't heard reports of anybody playing a substantial number of
games between them. Is there any convenient way to automate such
matches? Does GMP or any other means of communication besides GUI come
with the retail version of Many Faces?

Most of the interesting testing against other programs (that has been
reported) has been done by max-d. Check the list archive for his
postings. If I remember correctly these test have been against Go++,
Winhonte, and Handtalk.

> For some reason I am presuming that the effect is more pronounced
> against itself than other programs.

I also think that would be likely.

/Gunnar