Re: [gnugo-devel] reinstating value(100) owl defense moves?

From: Tim Hunt
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] reinstating value(100) owl defense moves?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:17:21 +0100

Evan Daniel wrote:
My thinking is that for potentially deep reading situations with well
understood answers, no good go player actually reads out the answer
every game.  It may well be cheap enough to do so, but it seems
unlikely to me that we can come up with a solution that gets things
like tripod, L group, comb formation, etc correct even at high depth
without a large performance penalty elsewhere.  I also think that this
will become more important later as gnugo gets stronger and does more
generalized and deeper reading, not less.

It is also entirely possible that we need to do this in a completely
different manner, and maybe doing this as a first pass is not worth
it.  Something automated would seem a lot less error-prone.  At the
very least, some automated checking would be in order.

One way to look at this is that a strong human player does not start the game with an empty reading cache.

So another approach is to take dumps of the reading cache while playing a lot of games, and then write some code that analyses all these dumps and picks out a few patters that could be preloaded into the cache at the start, which minimises the reading nodes when replaying these games.

That would be an ambitious approach.

Tim.