[gnugo-devel] Levels and time used.

From: Jens Yllman
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Levels and time used.
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:24:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I just have a small thought. Today GNU Go is mostly tuned for level 10.
And that is the only level anybody realy can talk about it's strength.

On my computer running as level 10 is realy fast. And now when the talk
about specific patterns with high values for getting out of reading more
quickly makes me think that that aproch does not realy 'improve' GNU Go.
Atleast not in the way of 'understanding' the game.

I would like us to have a better understanding about what happens with
increased reading depth and larger cache and things like that. And realy
make things like the automaticly adjusted level depending on time left
work.

My personal feeling is that makeing a program play good with
patternmatching is not realy makeing a program play the game. And I would
like GNU Go to understand more of the concepts of the game.

I've been rather absent from GNU Go lately. So I don't realy have any
feeling about these features at the moment. So maybe I'm just stating
something that is not relevant anymore.

Last thought about high valued patterns. If we add high valued patterns.
It would be nice to have option to not include. I'm not that good on how
things work internaly. But I understand this might not be easy as
run-time. But I think that the possibility to turn of makes it possible to
check the current state of the 'real knowledge' in GNU Go.

Jens Yllman