Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:55:55 +0200

It seems to me that you understand well what is going
on there.

I thanks a lot of the confirmation. It was ncessatry for my next step.

However, I'm not sure how easy it would be
to use the same approach for GNU Go.
I agree with that.
In my little experience of go and my bigger experience in computer programming, I know it would be not easy. If that would be so easy, the game would already
be finished.

Even with this simplification, it has still taken me 6
years to find the right "glue code" to get the pieces
of my planner to cooperate.
If only 6 years is spent to find a useful glue, it should be a gread imporvement.

You may be able to "glue" GNU Go's strategic and
tactical modules. I'm not sure. I haven't torn into
the code yet. However, I think it would be the devil
to maintain the glue code. It would have to be
adjusted everytime a module was modified.
I hope no, I am currently thinking about a way to glue that is not dependant
of the other one part. The basic idea is tactical module ask to stategic module: what is the strategic value of this move and the startegic module ask to the tactical module
what is the tactical value of this move.
But maybe it is too much naive. I really don't know.

But hey, anything is possible.

The point is now I spend already a long time to improve my go,
so for computer go I have really few time. Even if my ideas are good,
I thinks it's better to improve my go. But if someone wants to gather some suggestion,
just ssend me an email, I would be pleased to give them. Of course, my glue
is not finished and so I can't releas them, but I have some idea about improving the sluggo approach, for example. But I can't give any garantee that my ideas are right.