Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:23:31 +0200

Semsyn does not depend upon incomplete heuristics nor
inflexible optimization strategies in order to cope
with the combinatorial explosion of the search space,
and this is a radical departure from the conventional
approach of building planning systems that are not
guaranteed to find solutions.

I read the introduction about the paper "Cooperation between top-down and bottom up n theorem provers"
you write and it seems to be a very interesting
concept, not only for the endgames purposes.
The point is about combining top down and bottom up approaches.
That seems to be interesting, but I'm not sure to really understood understand how it can be achived. One of the approach seems to be: see the aim, and try to reach it ( top down if I understood) and the other one: don't care about the aim, try to see what you can reach (bottom up if I'm not wrong)

If I understood there is two meanings to combine both approach. The basic ideas seems to made the both in the same time and transmit information between the both approaches. To go realisation, I would say that we keep startegic and tactic concerns, but instead of have a master/slave model, we have a continuous discussion betwwen the both modules.
The point is it seems that what exactly I do during the game, I continuously
ask me: in the local situation what can I do and what startegy I must apply.
But the point is that you seems to put a hard communication between the both
modules. And it appears for me to be a good point.
As far I can understood gnugo, it has a master slave model,
There is some strategic aims, to try to reach and we look the tactic to see how we can achieve them. I really think that gnugo archictecture would improve if it is considered as a two cooperative processes. As it is said in the paper, the knowledge
of each other part should  improve the global efficiency.
I would say that the more the startegic module has knowledge of the local situation,
the more he can work efficiently, and it is the way that the gnugo work now.
But the point is that, the more the tactical module can do well it's job. And the point is the tactical module seems not to use informations gathered by startegic module.

After this long mail, I need your help.
I would like that the gnugo's developpers say me if there is a one way communication betwee strategic and tactic, and Eric Parker say me if I precisely interpreted
the top-down/bottom-up theory

Xavier