Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 03:47:37 +0200

Evan Daniel wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding something fairly fundamental about the
GNU Go project.  We are interested in shipping a Free, strong, and
easy to use Go playing engine.  For a definition of Free Software, see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.  That the engine is Free
is a primary requirement, and something that the GNU Go developers see
as such, not merely an added benefit or feature tacked on the side.
I love the opensource concpets, but I'm not sure to understand them in the good way

   * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
   * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
     needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for
     this

I have so the right to use the gnugo as a black box. with a gtp interface
and use it as an help to my own program without
make my program become GPL.
Even if I use the intelligence of gnugo, I don't steal your
work as long as my program still work with another gtp engine,
and that I don't remove the freedom the gnugo staff gived
on his own code.

Of course, if I modify gnugo, to fit my needs, and if I distribuate the result, I mus release the code source. but I can still distribute gnugo with my program.

Can you say If I'm wrong somewhere ?