Re: [gnugo-devel] On the Role of Domain Experts

From: Evan Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] On the Role of Domain Experts
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:01:05 -0400

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:26:15 -0700 (PDT), Eric <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hey Evan,
>
> It has become apparent that the proper way to play
> this logistical game with GPL is probably to credit my
> contribution as the construction of a Planning
> knowledge base (KB), in addition to Gnu Go's
> collection of pattern-matching knowledge bases.
>
> In fact, it is the domain model, i.e. the set of
> domain operators, or the knowledge base, that will be
> the significant result of our interaction.
>
> The prototype I want to build will not in general be
> useful beyond its purpose as a tool to assist in the
> development of the domain model. In other words, the
> prototype will be a throw-away. I just want something
> quick, cheap and dirty, in order to prove the concept.

It sounds to me like what you're proposing is this:

Build a limited functionality (but sufficient for Go purposes)
planner, probably using Graphplan.  Construct all the relevant parts
to hook this to GNU Go.  Construct the beginning of a knowledge base
that GNU Go could use.  All of this would then be contributed to GNU
Go in the normal manner.  Your planner, Semsyn, would not be in any
way connected to GNU Go, but could be plugged in instead of the
Graphplan planner.  If I understand it correctly, and Graphplan is
GPL, then this all sounds fine to me, at least at first glance.  Of
course, my opinion isn't actually of direct relevance :)

Evan Daniel