Re: [gnugo-devel] The Module Formerly Known As Endgame

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] The Module Formerly Known As Endgame
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:51:46 +0200

Next, we relax the search goal. Instead of saying "Win
the game for black", we could say something like "Take
prisoners". This is entirely reasonable. Surely some
Go games must exist in which taking prisoners leads to
winning. These are the games that the planner will
look for.

The point is it's no more go, but what is called ponnuki-go or atari-go.
If the rules are clear, I want to say that the both opponent agree, is it
a game very close to go. It is often used to teach go. Until now,
I see only one program which play at this game and it is pretty week.
I think your project can succeed and can be a great improvement
in the programming go field.
But be careful, this kind of game as simpler rules, however, if
you go to a biggest size than 9x9, it will be become harder in an exponential way.

With all of the above being said, I would like to make
a final comment: One suggestion I got from this list
is that there is more to playing Go than just taking
prisoners (I believe it was Gunnar's, but I could be
wrong).
I full agree. For exemple, you can give some stones to take more stones,
for exemple when you kill an eye.

So that's my whole idea. Seriously folks, this idea
just needs a little bit of work to make it elegant.
The foundation is sound. In fact, I claim that if we
can get even this naive strategy implemented, then it
would knock the socks off of an exclusive pattern
matching GNU Go.
I'm not sure of this point. Because with pattern matching you can take count of
throw away some stones.

Definivly, ponnuki-go is not go. Nevertheless, if you succeed in creating a strong program, that would be cool. I hope I would play against your program soon. If your program becomes nearly perfect, a good thing would be to implement a diffculty level, so the beginners can have fun in taking stones to a weak version of your program. For stronger player, we could simulate komi by autorizing a number of pass for white.

Xavier