Re: Re[4]: [gnugo-devel] sgf/sgfnode.c possible error

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Re[4]: [gnugo-devel] sgf/sgfnode.c possible error
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:52:56 -0200

Dmitri Koulikov wrote:

> PP> Actually, it would make sense to assert for `node->parent's
> PP> being non-NULL, but since we are going to release 3.6 soon
> PP> and I'm not sure that this assertion will not fail (the
> PP> code is quite messy), I'm leaving this out.
>     (; ;) (; ;) => it would be empty...

GNU Go cannot handle multiple game trees in one file anyway.
Also, it doesn't make sense to start a variation as another
tree.  Such an operation should be explicitly named as
creating a new tree.

> PP> BTW, you may want to know that we don't generate patches
> PP> (differences with +/- lines) by hands, there is a program
> PP> for it, called `diff'.
>     Surely. I made it by hands since I didn't have second version just
> to show you quickly.

Well, in Emacs you can M-x diff-buffer-with-file.  If you use
Emacs, of course.  Also, Emacs has a nice feature of backing-up
CVS-controlled files, so that you can C-x v = even without
connection to CVS server (in the Net).

> PP> Since you use Windows, you may try
> PP> either Cygwin (a full-blown emulator of UNIX-like systems)
> PP> or WinCVS, a Windows port of CVS + `diff' and `patch' tools
> PP> + GUI for these things.
>     I use Linux, it is just my mailer still. I cannot find comparable
> for Linux...

Is there a version of The Bat! for GNU/Linux?

Personally, I find KMail pretty usable, even if I'd like
to change/improve some things.

> PP> Thank you for pointing us to this problem.
>     I afraid there will be more.. :-)

Certainly, but it's better to have them fixed than pretend
there are no/few bugs ;)  Don't hesitate to report problems.

Paul