Re: [gnugo-devel] TODO tasks and new Gnugo Developer questions

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] TODO tasks and new Gnugo Developer questions
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:45:40 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Joe, welcome.

>  - Is the TODO file linked from the gnugo developer page still
> current?  I seem to
>    remember someone on the mailing list mentioning that it wasn't, and it
> hasn't
>    had commit to it in ~13 months.

Well so so. Most issues are still current, others have been improved and
are less urgent now, others maybe a little outdated.
I see that I still haven't added something about the persistent caches
there, although I think there is some low hanging speed-up fruit there.

(Maybe we should move the TODO list to the Wiki? We could conveniently
link more detailed explanations etc.)

>  - Is there anything more to do to 'get started' other than building
> the CVS source,
>    making changes, and re-running regress.pl?  I'm sure there are, for certain
>    changes at least, but I'd appreciate any quick hints that could be
> provided.

You can also have a look at http://trac.gnugo.org/regression/regress.plx.
I think that looking at a failed testcase and trying to understand what
went wrong is the best way to get started on GNU Go.

You can also do './view.pike testsuite:number' to get some more
interactive information on GNU Go's analysis, or you can run gnugo by
hand and specify additional debug flags if you want to get a more
detailed understanding

>  - Are there any items on trac.gnugo.org that  experienced developers
>    might recommend?

Most of the open tickets are alreayd worked on by someone. #10 might be
an exception -- if you feel like excerpting the essence of what went
wrong in that game, that would be useful (and is always instructive).

Arend