Re: [gnugo-devel] Membership request for group GNU Go

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Membership request for group GNU Go
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 02:58:49 -0400

Picking up an old thread...

[NB: I've added the gnugo-devel mailing list to the CC; please
     include it in future replies.]

() Gunnar Farnebäck <gunnar@lysator.liu.se>
() Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:18:25 +0100

   On 2/20/22 21:54, bump@math.stanford.edu wrote:

   > We could include a copy of configure in the repository
   > but rename it as (for example) configure.sample or
   > configure.3.x. Then the instructions in README or
   > INSTALL would say that if you don't have a configure
   > file, you may copy configure.sample to configure,
   > then run .configure; make.
   > This would conform with the policy of not including
   > built files in the distribution,

   Would it really? Even if it's not called configure it would
   need to be the output of the appropriate automake command and
   thus be a generated file.

A quick summary of the discussion (for the benefit of
gnugo-devel mailing list members):

One of the changes in the ‘ttn-maint’ branch of the GNU Go repo
on savannah:

- https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnugo.git/log/?h=ttn-maint

removes the top-level file "configure" (along w/ other
generated files):

- https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnugo.git/commit/?h=ttn-maint&id=d297e06f62

This changes the status quo, which is to keep generated files
under version control, so that a user can do "git clone && make"
(basically).

The other changes in ‘ttn-maint’ haven't generated discussion.

I hope that by including gnugo-devel in the discussion, we can
get more perspectives and that the GNU Go maintainers can be
convinced to change their position to that of "do not keep
generated files under version control", on the way to eventually
approving a merge of that branch and future development along
those lines.

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2022) Software Libero