Re: [Gnumed-devel] Changes to GuiMain

From: dguest
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Changes to GuiMain
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 22:19:45 +1000

 Ian Haywood wrote:

I would like to propose some changes to the gmGuiMain module:

- move to the 'split-screen' interface like Richard's interface.
- replace the wxNotebook tabs with a row of small icons.
- Convert the current windows in the notebook to plugins (find patient,
cryptowidget, SQL query, Python interpreter, etc.) in a "plugins"
subdirectory.

Any objections/comments?

Hi Ian

I have been thinking about Richard's interface during the week and his lecture made me focus on what was my main activity during the patient encounter. For me, as a GP in private consulting rooms, it is clinical data capture using a keyboard and manipulating the data while accessing already collected information such as previous consultations, investigations and other doctors' notes and correspondence.

I prefer to record my data items one after the other in a left justified vertical column. This means I need a tall but not very wide vertical column to record and display the current encounter data. (Say 40% of the screen width). For access to the other data I need a summary of all previously recorded items (e.g. investigations, old notes, correspondence) and a display window for the items that I select from the summary.

So, in essence this is a three window screen, with the middle and right windows being accessed by hot keys and icons as per Richard's interface. Hopefully there is still room to squeeze in his scratch pad and Reminders windows. I also liked the way his patients' id window only took up one line at the top of the screen.

That's my $A0.02 worth anyway.

David