Re: [Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface

From: Alan O'Keefe
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface
Date: 08 Aug 2002 16:57:27 +1000

Hi Horst

Well, if this was a commercial product there would be an argument
for retaining a generic database interface, but as it isn't, we
should be sticking with databases which are available on the
same/similar licensing schemes, (ie. free).  This being the case
postgreSQL is really the only reasonable option, (mySQL transactions
still aren't what they should be).

Then again, (jumping over the fence), it's good to provide your users
with some choice, (maybe someone will want to use an ODBC interface
to something like MS SQL-Server ;-) ).

My vote, cleaner, more elegant code outweighs portability in
this scenario.

Regards
Alan