[Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:40:24 +1000

I know that it was me who initiated the change towards the DBI compliant interface. At that time I thought we had a giood reason to do so.
However, this assumption was not quite right.
Without any major additional benefit (as the independence from interfaces prooved to be non-existent), it
- created additional dependency (mxDateTime)
- made the code less readable
- made several statements neccessary where one would be enough

Expecting to be flamed, I therefore propose to switch back to the good old "pg" interface as it comes now as standard with postgres
Benefits:
- no more dependence on mx (which often creates headaches)
- easier more intuitive coding
- possibly faster code (less type casting neccessary, more "natural" interface to libpq)
- better interoperability with postgres specific tools like pgnotify (?)

Opinions?

Horst