Re: [Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] vote on postgres interface
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:39:19 +1000

On Friday 09 August 2002 7:44 am, you wrote:

> PyGresQL: available in binary form for Linux and Windows, though the Linux
> version seems neglected lately. Slowest adapter so far (?)

Ouch. Shouldn't have sent this email before testing the newest versions.
Looks like PyPgSQL (which I meant, not PyGreSQL) is now pretty much on par
with PyGreSQL speedwise. What's more: without me noticing, it now supports
fully notify/listen without need for extra libraries.

Using setup.py it installs cleanly on all systems I just tried (including
Mandrake, which always was difficult for PsycoPg), and they provide a
"setup.exe" binary for the compiler-deprived Windows users among us.

Same as PyGreSQL, it comes in a libpq and a DB-API version in the same
package, though the libpq version is un-pythonish and ugly compared to pg.py.

I haven't found any references regarding the status on Macs.

Karsten seems to favour PyPgSQL.

We have to come to a conclusion quick, since I am itching to continue my
database work and I don want to rewrite all adapter specific sections yet
another time.

Horst