Re: [Gnumed-devel] Backend complexity

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Backend complexity
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:40:59 +0200

> I would be interested in hearing about the database design
> history and the purpose of the distributed database architecture
> that you have implemented, (smart, but possibly a little
> over-kill I would have thought at first glance).
There isn't really much choice: Doing everything in one
monolithic database isn't quite flexible enough (distributed
practices with a WAN link, remote clinical repository but
local drug information data store). The difference between
hardcoding 2 or 3 database and doing it the Right Way as we
are trying to do now isn't very much of a difference. So there
aren't really many steps inbetween "monolithic" and
"distributed according to some configuration". Yes, it's a bit
more complex but to the client side it shouldn't be any more
complex than:

dbbrooker.GetConnection('personalia')
dbbrooker.GetConnection('BLOBS')

If we then properly encapsulate accesses into objects we don't
experience too much pain in using the distributed version.

It does get a bit more involved with keeping strict
referential integrity across databases but Horst can explain
the issues better than me.

That's my understanding so far.