Re: [Gnumed-devel] Simplifed Logon Gui

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Simplifed Logon Gui
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 09:25:04 +1000

On Saturday 07 September 2002 6:54 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:46 am, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> > Thought of that before. Although less beautiful in my opinion, it should
> > be possible - I just right now don't know how to shrink windows. Will
> > have a look in the wxPython documentation.
>
> No need to shrink.
> This Window contains a vertical box sizer.
> When the "options" button is hit, you simply add the widgets you want to
> display, and the Window grows. when you don't want them any more, the
> Window shrinks. Nicer than popups.
>
> I definitely think that "login" should be the rightmost button, and
> "cancel" the leftmost. Else it is confusing, one has to search then. It
> should also read "login", since "OK" is ambiguous (does it mean I want the
> parameters to be accepted or saved, or that I want to login?)

I strenously disagree with this. Ok Cancel is the paradigm most people are
familiar with.  This is a login screen  - it is labelled as such, everyone
knows that. What you are doing is clicking the Ok button to say 'Ok', I'll
login. Mostly users will be keyboarding and as I previously mentioned the Ok
button is next in the tab order after password, so <enter> or <Tab> will move
automatically to this. Can't see how this can be confusing.

> The static location string should be user-configurable, i.e. we need an
> additional text widget where you can alter it.

Which static string are you talking about?