[Gnumed-devel] gmBackendListener vs. gmDispatcher

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gmBackendListener vs. gmDispatcher
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:12:19 +0200

Shouldn't both of those services be available through one and
the same API with one optional parameter
(source = client|backend) ?

The only advantage I can see in keeping them separated would
be not having to import both modules if some application
doesn't want to use one or the other (as in import-med_docs.py
which will use the backend listener for notifying running
clients about newly arrived documents [eg -> Richard's INBOX]
but does not need to signal itself about anything).

BTW we need a way for senders to give listeners a way to know
what has changed. If I change patient A while someone else
looks at patient B they are certainly not interested in being
notified about patient A being changed ...

As the backend listener is specific to a backend anyways it
might make sense here to pass around OIDs or strings like
"identity.id=3193" as payload to backend notifies (such as
"patient_changed" for this payload example).