[Gnumed-devel] bug found for duplicate health issue insertion

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] bug found for duplicate health issue insertion
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:18:35 +0200

All,

our read-only connections are cached such that we only ever
open one per service. This one is set to SERIALIZABLE as all
our connections are. It is also never committed since for a
read-only connection there's no need to commit. The first
opened cursor starts a transaction. This transaction is *not*
closed, however, when the cursor is closed. Which in turn means
that our read-only connections were running in one huge,
never-ending transaction. And serialized transactions don't see
any changes committed to the DB during their lifetime (that's
their whole point).

Hence any subsequent reads into the clin_health_issue table
were going to read the same data as the first one regardless
of whether data was committed in between.

The fix (in CVS) is to set read-only connections to READ
COMMITTED instead of SERIALIZABLE.