[Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf.au

From: David Guest
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed.conf.au
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:06:41 +1000

Gnumedders and friends

It appears that Horst and many of us have to (want to) go to GPCG on Saturday 9 August. GPCG has added some new sessions for the day and is, inter alia, debating supporting open knowledge and open source computing. Since this is what we have been arguing for the last four years I think we should attend.

If it is OK with everyone I will cancel the Saturday. I think we will get most things done on Friday. If there is enough interest we can make alternative arrangements for those not going to GPCG.

Registration for GPCG closes 1 August.

David

~~
http://gpcg.org/forum2003/index.html

# *The Future of Open Knowledge and Open Source Software in General Practice*
/Background:/
Clinical information systems is becoming the norm in global healthcare. Development of global standards for electronic health records, messaging, and decision support makes the use of "standardised" data sources and algorithms inevitable. Knowledge becomes embedded in the data structures of health records and the methods of access to records in clinical software. Knowledge becomes embedded in decision support algorithms developed from scientific knowledge and clinical guidelines. Governments, organisations and private enterprises are moving to make knowledge sources freely available to citizens of the world. Examples include PubMed, the Cochrane Library, and the Medical Journal of Australia.

Open source software has been popularised by the Linux operating system. The success of Linux has fuelled increasing interest in open source software development and use. Governments and private corporations around the world are embracing open source software in their relentless drive to do more with less. Open source medical software has huge potential to improve healthcare across the globe and help narrow the gap between the first the third worlds.

Join in the discussion as we explore the brave new world of open knowledge and open source software.

*Part A: Open knowledge*
Who OWNS scientific knowledge?
Who has the right to charge for it?
What benefits flow to Australians/humanity from open versus closed knowledge policies?
Can the internet be a vehicle for crafting Open Knowledge?
Should we support Open Knowledge?

*Part B: Open source software*
Do normal GPs want open source software?
Will we be better off with open source software or closed commercial software?
How can vendors make money with "free software"?
Can the medical software industry cope with a shift to collaborative open source development?
Should governments fund open source software development?

--
One day in Munich

   GPLG
 GPLGPLGP