Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5 fulltime pre-graduating software engineering studen

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] 5 fulltime pre-graduating software engineering students
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:59:05 +1000

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:32, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> This sounds good. It sort of answers my above concerns. A
> dead-tree version (maybe deposited at Horst's practice) will
> help even more. Yes, I am paranoid :-))

The students had detailed project specifications which include details about
licensing. These specifications have obviously been read by their supervisor
and subsequently accepted.

Hence, I see no problems regarding IP.

The university will always have the option of dual licensing.

gnumed is not incorporated or an officially registered entity for a reason.
Right now, we are unassociated individuals contributing their own work to
a"common good", meaning each of us is legally responsible only for his own
code. If a contributor submits problematic code, I cannot see how this would
endanger either other contributors nor the project as a whole, since the CVS
system documents nicely which code has been submitted by whom and when.

Even if we reuse code from others, we can do so "in good faith" since
submitted code is supposed to have the standard gnu header which grants
everybody else the right to reuse this code.

I discussed this once in person with Eben Moglen, gnu's lawyer - as a law
professor from the US where the IP legislation has reached the most
ridiculous perfidy I think his opinion is qualified.

Horst