Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] roadmap
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:37:28 +0200

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/doc/TODO/temporary-roadmap.txt

> > referrals handling
> This and prescription can use a common "forms engine" for printing at
> particular points on the page.
> I have some early code for this hanging around somewhere.
Me to.

I have eventually dropped the idea of fully defining forms in
the database but rather only storing metadata *about* the paper
forms in the database. The forms template should perhaps be
XML with 3 main sections: how-to-display, how-to-"print",
placeholders for data. The database then stores this XML at
whatever stage it happens to be at in nascent_forms.template.
Completed and "used" forms are stored in
"completed_forms.content" - again, the full XML source. A
display parser generates a simple (!) input UI (works well for
me daily in our practice). A "print" (or fax/...) parser
generates the appropriate target format from the XML source
once submitted. Thus arbitrary intermediate form filling
interruption is possible. I have many thoughts here but we
need to start small.

Better suggestions ?

> >  - accompanying referral letter
> Export to only AbiWord (or KWord?, which do we prefer?) for now, plugins for
> other formats can be added later.
AbiWord for now IMHO.

> As an aside, how much demand for a LaTeX option?
Later ?