Re: [Gnumed-devel] Borderless widgets on GTK

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Borderless widgets on GTK
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:01:00 +1000

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:27:20 +1000
richard terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Attatched is rough draft of vaccine stuff.

This is coming along nicely.

The one criticism I have is that is specification sets things like RGB
values for the various widgets. I understand the colour scheme has it's
own rationale, but personally I find it a little garish, I (and others I
assume) may wish to change it. I agree that borderless widgets are good,
but in principle this should also be configurable.

GTK (AFAIK Qt also) already has a a solution to this in the form of
styles. This is one reason why Richard's pleas for borderless controls
in wxPython/GTK have fallen on deaf ears: the toolkit is *deliberately*
designed so application developers do not control these things: users
do, via styles.

I have created a "Terry style" for GTK, see the screenshots
of the Galeon browser, note the total absence of widget borders.
(http://gnumed.net/~ihaywood/terry_style1.png
http://gnumed.net/~ihaywood/terry_style2.png)

Widgets can have different styles within the same app, by assigning
widgets a name (this requires some cooperation between style and
application authors, obviously)

I'm not sure how we can achieve the red-and-yellow headers, possibly a
named type of GtkLabel.

This is a GTK2 style, GTK1 doesn't seem to have this flexibility, so
we still need wxGTK linked to GTK2 to achieve this, I am downloading the
sources now to take at loook.

Ian

-----
PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E