Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tabbed Lists Doc - Apologies for File Size

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Tabbed Lists Doc - Apologies for File Size
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:25:53 +1000

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:53, richard terry wrote:
> Sorry about the big file, but hey, its a developers list, you will all
> cope. Having just spent 4 hours doing this, if you can't tough!

Richard,

there are a few hundred people subscribing this list. Only a fraction is
involved in the GUI development.

By posting a 518 KB attachment you have caused some hundreds of Megabytes
network traffic - some if not most of it unnecessary..

Would you not have saved it in a proprietary format, but in OpenOffice and
bzip2 compressed it, the file would only have had 2/3 of it's size and even
those not using proprietary software would be able to view your document.

As valuable and useful your documents are, PLEASE submit them to CVS into a
documentation or suggestion directory or upload them onto an FTP server, so
that those interested in it can download it at their leisure - and post the
location of the document to this list instead.

I hate to say that downloading your document has blocked internet and email
access for a long time for those of us who still cannot get anything better
than dial-up.

Horst