Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:22:33 -0700

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:02:15PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Most of them are warnings that PG reports as errors and result
> from dropping non-existant DB objects (with halt-on-error
> temporarily off). They *do* hide the real errors which is
> unfortunate but to the best of my knowledge not avoidable.

Wouldn't it be better to have a -drop script (or set of scripts) that
would drop everything it needed, in order to avoid ERRORs in the logs (for
the reason you mentioned above, they can hide real errors)?

> > $ ./bootstrap-gm_db_system.py --conf-file=bootstrap-monolithic_core.conf
> > --log-file=./foo 2> pg-out.txt
> >
> > This tells me that the bootstrap script has a bug because an interactive
> > question is going into stderr which is now being redirected:
> Catch 22.

Why? I didn't understand why it is a catch 22.

> > Now the bootstrap doesn't work anymore. Understandable, I think to myself,
> > since now things have been created, although it should check and ask me if
> > I want to drop them or not.
> I'd be delighted to learn how to do that in SQL.

What I meant was a scenario like this:

1) User runs bootstrap script
2) bootstrap script notices that things are already installed, at least
   partly
3) bootstrap script asks user if s/he wants to DROP everything and start
   from scratch
4) If user says yes, bootstrap script runs -drop scripts (or set thereof)
5) bootstrap script proceeds with installation.

> Highly interesting. Can you post (or mail me) the full log ?
> I know it's rather large.

Unfortunately I already got rid of it. Sorry. I'll try to replicate.

> Just dropping the DB is supposed to do.

I am certain I dropped the DB and it failed to reinstall. I'll do it again
to verify and report back.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +