Re: [Gnumed-devel] between-patient mode

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] between-patient mode
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:35:13 -0800

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:33:36 +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote
- hot key should invoke itself after a proposed period of inactivity
ah, OK
I just meant what may already done by a "timeout" behavior

(about patients being able to access their record:)
I tend to believe that's a good reason for writing another
client and not clutter the current client with it. That other
client may well be incapacitated by software to even open
read-write connections.
- patients may want to view and print reference copies of their labs
and other data/reports which in a paper chart model is a pain for
security (might they pocket the original record) also where in the
office does the patient sit to do this and, if they want copies ---
even when willing to pay --- how is this done efficiently? I think it
would be great to be able to have a patient viewing station where a
patient can sit down to be logged-on to their own record able to
read-only the "unrestricted" portion of their own record with the
ability to print to a local printer.
Walking needs to be mastered before attempting to run.
Agree with walking before running.
A separate client sounds like a good idea after gnumed is working and enough people want this ability. Presumably the "patient access" client could take advantage of existing code snippets (pardon possible clumsy use of code nomenclature) so that redundant code does not need to be written, and updated, in two different places as part of future software maintenance. I am suspecting for example that we re-use code to require/allow someone who already has DB access to be someone authorized to activate Patient X in read-only mode - we might like to capture such reads performed by the patient as "chart review" / "chart review by patient".