Re: [Gnumed-devel] between-patient mode

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] between-patient mode
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:17:31 -0800

Richard's suggestion was contained in "how and when to select encounter type" but is a bit of a new subject

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:38:56 +1100, Richard Terry <address@hidden> wrote:
Also I'd opt for a locked modal window which pops up into place after a
pre-defined period of inactivity which needs you to confirm patient identify
to continue working.

I agree it is useful to manage previous / current / next patients in a thoughtful and error-avoiding way. We have the following scenarios:

Moving between multiple exam rooms
- does gnumed presently permit a doctor to have multiple concurrent logins, on multiple machines?

Patients having access to the exam room and computer, unattended e.g. doctor must exit room while patient awaits doctor's return -OR- receptionist brings next patient into exam room vacated by the last patient while the doctor is doing something else. In all of these cases, there may be a logged-on computer in an exam room.
Consider:
- doctor and receptionist be given access to a hot key +- menu item to handle this situation - modal window would need to lock only gnumed --- it may be appropriate to allow other applications to function and to be accessible, for example there may be educational materials outside of gnumed I might want a patient to be able to browse via browser, or it may be desirable to lock down the whole computer - modal window would reveal last user, would permit last user to release the lock and return to last "view", or would permit new user to logout last user (if gnumed requires) to log in themselves - if doctor had not invoked the hot key, receptionist who brings next patient into room should do it as part of good office practice - hot key should invoke itself after a proposed period of inactivity (short in exam rooms, longer in more secure areas) - modal window should display the name of the last-accessed (active) patient in the modal window as a reminder per Richard's concern - an alternate, read-only mode that locks gnumed onto the current patient would be an alternative where the current patient could look at their record but be unable to write any data or move gnumed to another patient. At some point gnumed would have to be able to allow a patient to examine whatever parts of their record are approved (up to & likely having to include the full record except for any sections 'protected" on account of psychiatric grounds). - patients may want to view and print reference copies of their labs and other data/reports which in a paper chart model is a pain for security (might they pocket the original record) also where in the office does the patient sit to do this and, if they want copies --- even when willing to pay --- how is this done efficiently? I think it would be great to be able to have a patient viewing station where a patient can sit down to be logged-on to their own record able to read-only the "unrestricted" portion of their own record with the ability to print to a local printer. A per-page cost for printing would be reasonable. Coffee and web-browsing extra (kidding). If gnumed got to the point of coding parts of a record as "restricted" I think the doctor should be present to enable that access under their own id so the contents could be viewed together and any important explanations offered.