Re: [Gnumed-devel] re xml-rpc

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re xml-rpc
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:42:32 +1100

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:07, sjtan wrote:
>  I worked with omni corba ( which has a lgnu license) and xml-rpc test
> code , and found the omni idl generated types richer and more satisfying
> to program. omni corba seemed faster too.

It does not only seem faster, it *is* at least one whole order of magnitude
faster.

Types richer and more satisfying to program is in the eye of the beholder,
like beauty - I find nested "dictionaries" the most versatile and rich type
there is, and that's difficult with Corba, but easy with xml-rpc.

The beauty of xml-rpc is in it's simplicity - no large libraries needed,
protocol can be debugged "manually", and no need for a co,lex broker as in
Corba.

The plan was to *start* with xml-rpc, but to bolt on other RPC interfaces
later, like for example a corba interface. We can have any number of RPC
interfaces we want.

Horst