Re: [Gnumed-devel] My Kmail has crapped itself

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] My Kmail has crapped itself
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:47:01 +0100

On Thursday 18 March 2004 22:50, richard terry wrote:
> Considering it contains mega amounts and years of emails (backed up)
> this is disconcerting.
>
> My fault in that I accidentally turned the power key in my hard drive
> caddie whilst the machine was running, so I guess that killed something.
>
> So I'm using thunderbird to send this:
>
> Error message
>
> address@hidden:~/Desktop$ kmail
>
> > QGArray::at: Absolute index 0 out of range
> > ERROR: Communication problem with kmail, it probably crashed.
> >
> >From fiddling I've found the following:
>
> - Kmail still runs as root
> - Deleting my ~/Mail directory allows Kmail to re-create a new set of mail
> boxes and runs ok as user richard - Fiddling with the config files in
> ~.kde/....... kmail/... does nothing
>
> >From my programming experience the error message would seem to indicate
> > that one the the index files in my kmail directory is corrupted, however
> > as I've literally hundreds of mail boxes finding which one is
> > problematic.
Can't you just copy them to another directory and move the back one by one?

> I've thought of running another mail program - importing the kmail stuff,
> then exporting to a new instance of kmail but can't find any obvious import
> filters for kmail.
Have you checked out http://kmail.kde.org/tools.html
Don't know if anything mentioned there could be usefull.

> Any idea's appreciated.
>
> Richard

I am using KMail myself but I am afraid I can't help you. I have some problems
with KMail myself. Just a few days ago it deleted all the mails in 2002 and
2003. I hope that is not a feature. It did not touch 2004 mails.

I had a corrupted mailbox a cpuple years ago. Because I did not know what else
to do I corrected the f..d up headers by hand.