Re: [Gnumed-devel] design comments: demographics widget

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] design comments: demographics widget
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:51:17 +0200

> We need in this case to make plugins portable between client/gui and
> client/patient
> so ClinicalWindowManager can be unloaded while retaining Vaccinations and
> Referrals et al.
I am not sure I understand this. If I unload Richard space I
am quite logically also unloading the edit areas it offers.
Now, if I don't load another notebook plugin that offers input
of, say, vaccinations I simply won't have a way of inputting a
vaccination. Simple as that. That other notebook plugin is
free to re-use the vacc edit area, though, as that is rather
generic in nature and need not be loaded by Richard-space to
work.

So, I'd support hard-loading the edit area "plugins" inside
Richard-space instead of thinking of them as plugins to
Richard-space. Would that help ?

> I was rather lobbying for the "Richard-Plugin" to be an alternative framework
> to load
> *instead* of the main notebook, so it controls the whole application window
> [as it does in Richard's original client].
I see. I start getting the point you are after. I would,
however (as in pre-0.1), be even more radical and say: One
either loads the Richard-space notebook plugin and either
deals with the duplication re other notebook plugins that
ensues or does not load the duplicating other notebook plugins
or does not load the Richard-space notebook plugin.

I don't think we need to make it any more convenient than
that right now.

> To do this, gmGuiMain has to be split into the the "real" main module and a
> "gmNotebookWindowManager.py" module
I foresee quite a bit of conceptual complexity here that I'd
personally push beyond 0.1 if at all.