[Gnumed-devel] adjustment to Documentation plan

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] adjustment to Documentation plan
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:20:52 -0700

I came to think we should have 3 areas of documentation, dividing "user" and "developer" into three with the middle part being directed at the person who needs to oversee a particular installation of GnuMed on behalf of the practice. I suppose it is approximated by "db administrator" but if there is a more suitable name we could use that.

i) proposal re User documentation / manual

At the moment, what we have called "user manual" includes how to install and configure GnuMed packages. In contrast, the typical end-user will be a doctor or a clinic / office worker who will want to know how to "use" the clinical and the _medical practice_ administrative functions but could not care less about the db administrative or maintenance functions. The main (and perhaps the only) "settings" or "configurations" that doctors and office staff should want to know about are the individual or personal preferences that they may be permitted within whatever overall configuration the medical practice has designated.

ii) Db administrator documentation / manual

Rationale: In any practice, a key doctor designated into the role, together with a non-doctor office administrator, maybe a senior worker, and whoever provides IT support will want access to, and to be familiar with, this "db administrator" resource.

iii) Developer documentation / manual

The IT support people (to varying degrees), and those interested in development, will want access to, and to be familiar with, the portion that we might in future more narrowly designate as the "developer resources".

Would the above model be preferred?
Should "Db administrator" be a separate section in the User manual, or a separate document?