Re: [Gnumed-devel] installation problem

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installation problem
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:40:40 +0200

Hallo Dominique,

> , but I still receive this error at end of step 6
Someone please, this needs updating.

> gnumed$ pythonw ~/gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gnumed.py
Please try running gm-from-cvs-macosx.sh in client/ and report
back what happens.

> - the required third-party Python modules installed
Likely you are good here.

> - the GnuMed Python modules installed in site-packages/
Seems to not apply for Panther Python ?

> - your PYTHONPATH environment variable set up correctly
This is what the abovementioned shell script tries to do.

> gnumed$ python /Users/gnumed/gnumed/check-prerequisites.py ~
> => checking for Python module wxPython ...
> WARNING: cannot check for module wxPython
> WARNING: you must run this in a GUI terminal window
Did you run this in a terminal window with the GUI open or on
the plain system console ?

> So it looks like it doesn't find the wxPython.
Right.

> - wxPython is installed in /usr/lib
> - running the "wxPython Demo" applications works
Good, so you do have it. It just appears that Python can't
find it generically in the path. Can you try starting an
interactive Python session in a terminal window (xterm, rxvt
or similar) ? Then type

 import wxPython.wx

and tell us what happens.

> - echo $PATH gives this:
> /usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current

That's where the shell looks for binaries. Not much to do with
libraries.

> - echo $PATH doesn't give me anything (no error, just nothing)
You mean "echo $PYTHONPATH ?

Eventually you should add /usr/lib/"wxPython" to PYTHONPATH. That
*should* work although I am not expert enough to tell whether
that's the preferred or Right Thing(tm) to do on a Mac.

> - I cannot find this "site-packages" folder anywhere
I would guess that it doesn't apply for Mac. Please stay with
us so we can figure this out and put in the appropriate bits
and pieces.