[Gnumed-devel] Use of alien on debian packages was: Which distributions

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Use of alien on debian packages was: Which distributions (distros) of Linux
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:34:41 -0700

Andreas, you had posted at GnuMed

Normally the suggestion is:

     Debian for Servers
     SuSE/RedHat/Mandrake for Clients

 > could you 'apt-get install gnumed' on any rpm-based distro like
 > Suse or Redhat.

To clarify this: There is apt4rpm and I do not use nor know it but my knowledge about apt4rpm is that it is FOR RPM at the name says. That means you need RPMs first and then you can use it so Debian packages are of no use here - except you would like to use alien. But this all might go much more into the detail a beginner who is asking for a distribution might want to hear.

An IT support person who is going to help me install both OSCAR and GnuMed asked

I would be OK to use Debian, but I rather like the polished look of SuSe
- it does seem to be one of the most "professional" distros.  It is
possible to convert DEB packages to RPM via Alien
(http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/), though I'm not sure how well
this would work with the apps in question.

Would you expect problems with alien?