[Gnumed-devel] Gnumed is strictly non-commercial was: How to post an err

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed is strictly non-commercial was: How to post an error message?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:56:46 -0700

On May 26, 2004, at 7:16 PM, Horst Herb wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:23, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
Unterstützen Sie die Entwicklung von Gnumed durch Ihren
        Internet - Einkauf unter der Adresse:
http://profiseller.de/shop1/index.php3?ps_id=P1658133
What is this???
Gnumed is strictly non-commercial.

Horst

Well, here is what I think

- Horst is understandably vigilant, understandably sensitive for example to pharmaceutical influences which I expect is a reason drugref.org elects not to participate in any bounties http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/ msg10142.html

- IF we already had in place a structure to collect bits of financial or equivalent resources, and allocate them out to help contributors in some fair way, the objection would be more substantial (perceived undermining of the process) but we do NOT HAVE such a structure

- I also understand Sebastian's views, and would point out that people's comfort "going into debt" for GnuMed will vary with the person, with their stage of professional career (and debt repayment) and other factors too.

- the issue HAD come up on the list, but I do not believe we ever fully resolved anything.

Here are some links to what emails I could dig up on costs, expenses, handling money

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-07/msg00020.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-08/msg00198.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2003-12/msg00049.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-03/msg00028.html
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-03/msg00031.html

I think if the amounts generated exceed $100 in any month or $500 in a year there starts to be a responsibility to report to the group on what expenses it is going toward. If there is interest we could start a wiki page where anyone who incurs expenses can add their expense to a table for information purposes. Even if they do not ask or expect reimbursement it will give an idea of what it costs to subsidize the project and may be very important if these costs grow faster than we realize.