Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed is strictly non-commercial was: How to post an

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed is strictly non-commercial was: How to post an error message?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:18:21 +1000

On Fri, 28 May 2004 23:58, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > I think if the amounts generated exceed $100 in any month or $500 in a
> > year there starts to be a responsibility to report to the group on what
> > expenses it is going toward.

For gnumed and drugref activities combined (servers, phone costs, internet,
postage) I pay an average of AU$170/month *excluding* any travel/conference
costs. Most of the costs currently are drugref related though.

It is worthwhile mentioning that there are people giving even a lot more: John
MacKenzie is currently donating a complete house with computers & cable
internet in Melbourne to drugref programmers. Unsung heroes of open source.

But that' fine, I earn enough, and John is giving voluntarily too. Those who
don't earn enough to cover their expenses with enough ease should report to
the group as Karsten says, and I am sure we'll find some way to help.

To highlight the problems I have: I am politically very active in Australia,
trying to push the FOSS concept through via many arenas. I sit in a few
related governmental working groups, and get paid as a consultant for that
work.
That way I didn't exactly make many friends, especially not with those
industries who gain on lucrative governmental contracts with subsequent
lock-ins. I cannot allow any suspicions that I would personally enrich myself
through FOSS projects, noi matter how remote these claims were - anything of
substance raising the possibility of this would destroy everything I have
been building up for the past few years.

Horst