[Gnumed-devel] low performance when working from remote server

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] low performance when working from remote server
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:50:29 +0200

Hi all,

I just tried to work from the public gnumed-db at anubis.homeunix.com.
Responsiveness was horribly bad, it took ages to get all the modules loaded an
to go from one notebook tab to the next one. Just to get an idea what might the
reason for this behaviour I ran ethereal and captured the switch from the
documents to the lab-journal page. It took about 160s (or 2min 40 secs) and
needed about 1500 packets to send and receive. This makes about 10
packets/second and a mean packet travel time of 100ms. Packet size was mostly
below 100 bytes.The travel time seems to be what one would expect from a
internet link. In an intranet, I would expect packet travel times of about
1-3ms, so this would mean that you will have to spend about 1.5-4s for a
network traffic only. Add to this 1-2 s for data retrieval on backend side if
the database holds a lot of data and you get between 2-6 seconds to switch from
one tab to the next. If these figures is correct I would say that gnumed will
be quit slow to work with. Is there anything we can do about ?

Hilmar