Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:16:59 +1000

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 22:54, Ian Haywood wrote:
> > http://somewhere.com/horst-sein-tarball.gz).
>
> I had pasted this into my browser before I realised it was a joke. :-(((
> Seriously Horst, are we ever going to see this code? If not, we have to
> code those functions ourselves at some point fairly soon (as they cover
> most of the basic functionality of a client): a ridiculous waste of
> everybody's time.

You are. No worries.
It is just that I have way too much on my plate at the moment.
Currently organizing the conference for the nat-div list which will take place
this weekend ( http://www.hherb.com/320cc/program.html ), then finalizing a
few reports for the GPCG ( http://www.gpcg.org ), then finalizing the
wireless linkups in Dorrigo for our community technology centre (which opened
yeste.rday), and next thing on my priority list is untangling the code of my
"gnumed-mini"

In my practice, we are using a Interbase/Firebird based software ("medibase").
What I did was using my GUI framework and tweaking the business objects so
that they use the medibase backend wherever necessary, and store additional
information not in medibase in separate gnumed-mini Postgres tables. Since I
was often writing code under extreme time constraints, I often abandoned good
design and hacked shortcuts in. Looks awful, but works. Now I have to
disentangle it again, and then I'll release it.

Also take into account that my practice is one doctor short at present - I see
regular patients from 9:00 to 19:00 every day, hardly time for lunch, and
then I still have to see all emergencies the rest of the time except for
Tuesdays when a colleague covers on call, and some weekends which are often
covered by the Area Health services. As much as I love programming, my
practice still has precedence.

Again: I will publish all code as soon as it is cleaned up.

One tip in the meantime (I posted this before, but apparently to no avail): I
designed all user interface stuff with wxGlade, and access the generated code
via  inheritance - meaning I can always safely modify user interface look and
feel without having to manually modify my code. , including extending it with
new user interface elements.

Horst