Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:11:52 +0200

> >On the other hand I also very much like the idea of a gnumedlauncher
> >bundle containing wxpython and adds on because it very clean and
That is very debatable but I won't go into that today.

> >The only thing that doesn't work in this Gnumed.dmg is this "prepare
> >database" script, maybe I will include my old horrible terminal script
> >with it (the one which opens a terminal window asking you to enter 4
> >yes and 4 passwords) so that you can still configure postgresql  in a
> >more easy way....
Again, the "yeses" can be avoided at the cost of having to
figure out another way of providing the passwords to Pgsql.py

> I think there will be value in separate versions such "client only"
Yes !

> That would mean a separate "server installer",
Yes.

> to install onto either
> the same machine (which people with only one machine will do), or on a
> separate machine (as will be done in actual practice).
Which difference shouldn't be made. From the installers point
of view a machine with the client installed already should
look no different than one without the client.

> I am not sure
> whether to install in a separate step onto the same machine will create
> problems for example if python etc already exist on that machine.
Precisely one of the points against the
dump-everything-onto-one-large-pile strategy of installing.

> term) and I wonder if it is better for each platform to have just the
> two above, and not have this third one,
IMO yes.

> Maybe all "installers" should contain the same checking code as
> "updaters" in case any user has previously installed components on
> their machine(s).
They should.