Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:03:24 +0200

> > Is there a way to keep track of which section one is in so we
> > know which matcher to use ?
> AFAIK no, however as the documents we are dealing with are small, the penalty
> of rescanning
> to find the nearest header should not be significant.
> The wxStyledTextCtrl docs are at www.yellowbrain.com/stc/index.html, the
> interface is quite rich,
> there may be a better way that I have overlooked.
I was thinking of one of those:

a) When the cursor moves from one line to another scan the
   beginning of that line for a SOAP header and perhaps change
   the section we are in.

... but, no, that won't work when mousing the cursor somewhere

b) Can't we abuse text styles or paragraph styles - is there
   such a thing ? Eg. instead of "this range of text is bold"
   take this to mean "this range of text is sOap" ?

> We do need to think about the relationship between the "plan" and
> "assessment" section of SOAP and the editareas.
Yes.

> (although I agree we can have a useful SOAP widget before solving this)
:-)

> In the paper world we are use to the concept of action and documentation
> being separate, viz.
> I start a patient on amoxycillin, I write in the notes "amoxycillin 500mg
> QID", then write the same thing again
> on the script. Needless to say, in an EHR this is a waste of both user and
> programmer time.
However, it need not be done such that writing it *IS* both
action and documentation at the same time. There's at least
two more possibilities:

a) Writing a script auto-adds assessment rows.
b) When writing a script one can select from already written
   (assessment) rows.

Both save writing the stuff twice but allow the user to choose
order and conditionality of documenting vs. taking action. I
may want to record the "Amox 500mg QID" *without* actually
writing a script ! (Because the patient already has the meds
from when her brother appeared to have scarlet fever two weeks
ago but turned out to eventually not have it.)

> Could we do everything through the SOAP widget?  Maybe a "magic" dialogue box
> on the side that changed depending
> on where the cursor is. So if the cursor rests where we have typed "Plan:
> refer cardiology", the sidebox has a listboxes of the
> names and addresses of cardiologists, and the "include meds" "include phx"
> checkboxes, and the "Print letter" button.
I caution against trying to invent yet another integrated GUI.
I'd really prefer focussing on getting that one SOAP widget
nice and clean in it's own right.